Whenever I am overwhelmed by a task ahead of me, I sit down and make a list. Once the task is broken down into steps, it seems less daunting. Here is a checklist of likely steps for you to take in the course of your move. Use it as a guide to create your own list, or lists, and stay calm!
Make sure to download the printable version here: Moving_Checklist
EIGHT WEEKS BEFORE MOVING:
- Explore your various options of moving: do you want to move everything yourself, or do you want to hire a professional moving company? Do your research and find out cost and time effectiveness! The internet and yellow pages are great resources for finding such companies.
- Check your credit! Try to obtain a copy of your current credit report to make sure there are no errors!
- Have School records transferred.
SEVEN WEEKS BEFORE YOUR MOVE:
- Set a date for the move, fill out any required paperwork, and get moving insurance if you need it!
- Begin removing unwanted or unneeded items from your attic, garage, basement, or storage.
- Make a moving file to store receipts, records, and important papers related to your move.
- Gather important documents (birth certificates, immunization records, insurance documents, etc) and place them in a briefcase, strongbox, or other secure place to insure that they do not get misplaced during the move.
SIX WEEKS BEFORE YOUR MOVE:
- Update your car registration and driver’s license with your state’s motor vehicle department. You may also need to notify your auto insurance.
- Make item donations. Remember to collect receipts for tax purposes.
- Sell your old and unwanted stuff- place an ad in the local newspaper or hold a garage sale.
- Forward or cancel any monthly services, subscriptions, or memberships.
- Create a floor plan of your new home, and begin thinking about where you’ll want to place furniture. Advance planning eases the stress of making major decisions when your furniture arrives at your new home. Mark and label specific pieces of furniture on your diagram, and put it in your moving folder.
FOUR WEEKS BEFORE YOUR MOVE:
- Contact utility service providers to cancel or transfer accounts.
- Fill out an official change of address with the USPS.
- Notify all important business and personal contacts of your new address. Fill out changes of address for creditors and magazine subscriptions.
- Leave a forwarding address with the next owners of your home if possible.
- Buy boxes and packing material.
THREE WEEKS BEFORE YOUR MOVE:
- Start packing! Begin with rooms of the house you don’t use as much and finish with the kitchen. Choose a room of the house to serve as a temporary storage area for packed boxes. As best you can, box essential items together, and write “Open First/Load Last” on these boxes. When you move into your new home, you’ll be able to easily identify these boxes and get to important items like pots, dishes, silverware, alarm clocks, bedding, pillows, and towels.
- Have an extra supply of prescription medication for the next four weeks.
- Make an inventory of important and/or expensive items in your home as you pack. Try to take photographs of these items if possible. You may need this inventory for insurance purposes in case items get lost or damaged in the move.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE YOUR MOVE:
- Close any local bank accounts and open new ones in your new location. Try to get checks printed with your new address as soon as possible.
- Drain gas from any gas powered equipment before you pack it up. Try to make disposal arrangements for any oil, gas, or other hazardous substances you will not be able to move, use, or throw away.
- Check with your insurance company to cancel current coverage or transfer coverage to your new home.
ONE WEEK BEFORE YOUR MOVE:
- Make backup copies of important files on your computer before packing it up.
- Confirm arrangements with your moving company.
- Be sure to have some cash on hand for the day of the move. You may need it to tip movers, buy snacks, etc….
- Keep valuable financial records and personal papers with you; do not pack them with the rest of your household goods.
- Begin cleaning your house. Make sure you defrost your refrigerator and freezer.
- Do a final walk-through of your old residence, checking closets, drawers, etc. Turn off all lights and lock all doors and windows.
- We will schedule a final walk-through of the property to make sure everything is in order.
- Write directions to your new home for the van operator, provide the new phone number and include phone numbers where you can be reached in transit.
Have a great move and don’t forget to download and print this Moving_Checklist!